I’ve worked with some amazing leaders. Some I reported to, others I collaborated with and others I watched from afar. There are seven people represented below. These are the characteristics of theirs which I admire:
- She is genuine.
- She trusts her team to make decisions.
- Under fire, she is calm.
- He is flexible.
- They are confident.
- She’s crafty.
- He knows how to stretch his team without overwhelming them.
- He is fair. All employees are equal as far as his actions go.
- She’s a great presenter. If she says it, you’ll believe it.
- He cares about his team members’ professional development.
- He never lets himself get comfortable, and by default, he never lets his team get comfortable.
- Even when she doesn’t agree, she’s graceful.
- She shows a personal interest in the people she works with. If you’re sick at home, you can count on a visit.
- She pays attention to the details. All of them.
- He knows how to build consensus. Before it’s all said and done everyone thinks the plan is their idea – and it is.
- He uses competition to motivate the team.
- She believes in keeping everyone informed about what her team is doing.
- Her laugh comes easily.
- They are consistent.
- He embraces the unique personalities of each team member.
- They protect their teams.
- And this I can say of every single person who has ever hired me, from age 16 to now: They gave me a chance.
I put this list together as a road map for and reminder of the type of leader I aim to be.
What’s the DNA of your leadership heroes?